- KIRK: Then we're dealing with more than one creature, despite your tricorder readings, or we have a creature with an extremely long life span.
- SPOCK: Or it is the last of a race of creatures which made these tunnels. If so, if it is the only survivor of a dead race, to kill it would be a crime against science.
- KIRK: Mister Spock, our mission is to protect this colony, to get the pergium moving again. This is not a zoological expedition. Maintain a constant reading on the creature. If we have to, we'll use phasers to cut our own tunnels. We'll try to surround it. I'm sorry, Mister Spock, but I'm afraid the creature must die.
- SPOCK: I see no alternative myself, Captain. It merely seems a pity.
–"The Devil in the Dark", TOS episode 1x26
- You will begin play as an officer fresh out of The Academy.
- Senior bridge officers delegate difficult and important missions to "prime teams" of less experienced officers.
- Counselers/psychiatrists/social scientists play an important role (like in The Next Generation).
- Phaser stun is not automatic; everyone gets a HT roll to resist. Phaser disrupt and disintegrate do not cause things to neatly vanish; it blows them up messily and bores a neat hole right through them, respectively.
- Starfleet will occasionally, grudgingly, issue body armor.
This campaign uses the GURPS rules system. If you're not familiar with GURPS (the Generic Universal Roleplaying System by Steve Jackson games), you should learn about GURPS (at least a little bit) before you begin creating your character.
Using This Webpage
This Character Creation webpage will direct you to other Captain Joy's GURPS Star Trek webpages as it walks you through building your character, which basically amounts to choosing a Specie and Officer Template. Your Species Template with its Personal Background lens determines who you were before Starfleet. Your Officer Template determines who you are as a Starfleet officer.
You might also want to print out this Character Creation Worksheet (last modified: September 02, 2017, 01:28 pm). It is designed to track the information generated as you create your character.
Character Creation Steps
The sequence below allows you to experience the events of your characters life as they did: background first, then Starfleet Academy. If you prefer, you may do step #3 before #2: determine your starfleet niche first, then choose a species and background that supports it.
- Choose Your Species and Department
- Add Your Species Template
- Add Your Officer Template
- Finishing Touches
The webpage dedicated to each step above can be accessed via its tabs/switches below.
About Captain Joy
Captain Joy has been running a GURPS Star Trek game, off and on, since 2007.
The material presented here is my original creation, intended for use with the GURPS system from Steve Jackson Games. This material is not official and is not endorsed by Steve Jackson Games. GURPS is a trademark of Steve Jackson Games, and its rules and art are copyrighted by Steve Jackson Games . All rights are reserved by Steve Jackson Games.
Neither is this official Star Trek material, nor is it endorsed by CBS or Paramount.